Updated: Mar 12, 2020
2020 marks the start of a new decade, and with it comes a fresh perspective on the wardrobe edit.
The Trench Coat is a classic item that transcends trends, is re-worked season after season, and is a staple of aspiring CEO’s and techpreneurs alike. The Spring/Summer 2020 runways were also awash with feminine styling, from frothy tulle dresses to bold florals, but one detail that was a universal hit was the puff or volume sleeve, and the bigger the better. Alongside ladylike dressing, colour is set to be another key influencer, bringing with it joy and optimism through dialled-up neons and paint-box brights splashed across tailoring, knitwear, footwear, and beauty. Handbags are also having a real moment in the spotlight, whether they’re of the miniature variety a la Jacquemus’s Le Petit Chiquito bag or the stealth luxe style that comes in the guise of Bottega Veneta’s The Pouch. But the start of a new decade has designers reminiscing on the past and mining their archives for updates on the grab-and-go Y2K bag. And if you thought boots were only for the winter season, then it’s time for a rethink. The unpredictable weather makes these the perfect companion for transitional dressing, as they can be layered under dresses or over denim for an easy off-duty look.
So, if you’re looking for inspiration, here at Grace Magazine, we have put together the key trends for you to invest in for the spring, summer season and beyond.
THE TRENCH COAT
1. Contrast-trim Trench Coat, £475.00, Claudie Pierlot / 2. Lilac Organza Trench Coat, £253.00, Nanushka / 3. Deconstructed Heritage Trench, £3,890.00, Burberry / 4. Rubber Coated Trench Coat, £1,915.00, Bottega Veneta / 5. Stone Crinkle Patent Leather Trench, £328.00, Michael Lo Sordo
THE PUFF SLEEVE DRESS
1. Wrap-front Tie-back Dress, £1,575.00, Cecilie Bahnsen / 2. Gathered Shoulder Detail Spot Dress, £172.08, Faithfull The Brand / 3. Button-front Midi Dress, £500.00, Gestuz / 4. Lilac Tie-dye Mini Dress, £328.57, Love Shack Fancy / 4. Embroidered Split-front Dress, £150.00, Rotate Birger Christensen
THE KNEE-HIGH BOOT
1. Saffron Yellow Suede Boots, £895.00, Giuseppe Zanotti / 2. Zebra Print Knee Boots, £297.00, L.K. Bennett / 3. Mono-snake Boots, £424.00, Paris Texas / 3. Embossed Statement Heel Boots, £556.92, Tory Burch / 6. Multi-colour Block Heel Boots, £600.00, Wandler
THE Y2K BAG
1. Small Nylon Shoulder Bag, £75.00, &Other Stories / 2. Smokey Blue Shoulder Bag, £125.00, Cos / 3. Prada Re-edition 2000 Nylon Shoulder Bag, £495.00, Prada / 4. Zebra Print Bag, £305.00, By Far / 5. Sage Green Croc Bag, £26.76, JW Pei
THE SUPER BRIGHTS
1. Lemon Yellow Fleece Jacket, £59.00 , Arket / 2. Pool Blue Snakeskin Sandals, £39.00, Faith / 3. Tangerine Asymmetric Satin Dress, £200.00, House of Holland / 4. Killawatt Freestyle Duo Highlighter, £28.00, Fenty Beauty / 5. Peppermint Green DB Blazer, £79.00, Topshop
Words by Angela Baidoo